Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Fight Night Picks

Nate Quarry vs Jorge Rivera - Two guys nearing the end of the career that have put together winning streaks, but I see Quarry as the favorite. I think his wrestling will be too much for Rivera and he should control the fight handily. Guessing a TKO by ground and pound.

Ross Pearson vs Dennis Siver - Here's a potential fight of the night. Pearson looked excellent in his proper UFC debut, putting on a striking clinic against Aaron Riley. Siver has won four in a row, two by highlight-reel spinning back kick knockout. Both these guys can go hard, but I'm feeling Pearson by TKO, but I could see this one going the distance and being close.

Roy Nelson vs Stefan Struve - Still gunning for that Burger King endorsement, Big Country tries to topple the Skyscraper. I should write for MMA websites. Anyway, I just don't see Struve being able to do anything against Nelson's weight advantage and substantial grappling ability. Nelson's striking has received attention after his knockout of Brendan Schaub, and Struve will have to use his reach to keep Nelson on the outside or he'll have that to worry about too. I would say Nelson will have to watch Struve's length on the ground, but I think Nelson is too sharp for that. Nelson by TKO.

Kenny Florian vs Takanori Gomi - Hmm, I'm still trying to figure out why the UFC signed Gomi. The guy is a legend, but he hasn't been relevant in what, three years? He was always so popular in Japan that the only way he would ever fight outside the country would have to be in some promotional swap (like Aoki is doing with Strikeforce) or if he had faded away. Does the UFC think Gomi has revitalized his career and can make a run at the lightweight belt and get a rematch with BJ Penn? (Incidentally, did you know Penn has not been taken down by a lightweight in six years? Cage Potato keeps bringing it up and it amazes me every time.) They must, because I think they're throwing him to the wolves by putting him in against Florian, arguably the second best lightweight in the world. I don't think Gomi's striking is as sharp as it used to be and I don't see any way Florian doesn't pick him apart on the feet. If Gomi tries to draw on his wrestling base he faces some serious jiu-jitsu. Florian by submission.

No comments: