Wednesday, April 23, 2008

UFC 83

Mark Bocek vs Mac Danzig: Nothing wrong with this one, as Bocek showed off his wrestling but couldn't produce much offense and eventually just took too much punishment. Danzig sure did take his time finishing it, but I suppose there's nothing wrong with being careful. He's a personal favorite of mine, stemming from his time on Ultimate Fighter where he stood out from the usual bushido lunatics.

Michael Bisping vs Charles McCarthy: All I remember about this is that McCarthy didn't do much and then decided to stand and take rapid fire punishment until he couldn't come out for the second round. I still don't think Bisping is up there with the elite, but dropping down to middleweight could change that. This was certainly a better performance than his last two fights, albeit against lesser competition.

Nate Quarry vs Kalib Starnes: Well what can I say that hasn't been said already? Starnes claims he broke his foot, which I find hard to believe because he moved on it for close to fifteen minutes after the supposed break. While I usually don't care for the actions Quarry performed near the end, I can't bring myself to really exclaim any disgust. What a horrible fight, and now Starnes is gone from the UFC.

Rich Franklin vs Travis Lutter: I can't really be objective here, because I dislike Lutter, and him coming out to Nickleback only solidified my feelings. When people say things like, "I was winning that fight the whole way until I lost", I really don't know what to say. Fortunately, Franklin pulled an awesome escape from an armbar and then just pummeled Lutter, who looked like he seriously gassed. Franklin is in a bad spot in the division, because he can't fight Silva again but he's clearly the most deserving of a title shot.

Georges St. Pierre vs Matt Serra: Total domination is pretty close. Serra had nothing in this fight. He got taken down at will and couldn't work anything on the ground, and his stand-up which won him the first fight was nowhere to be found. GSP is obviously now the best in the world at 170 and top five pound for pound. I could see an Anderson Silva-like period coming up, where he completely reigns over the division.

In other MMA news, Chuck Liddell is off UFC 85, which must contain the most cursed main event ever. With Mauricio Rua and Liddell now injured, Rashad Evans will get a new opponent. Too bad every other top light heavyweight is slated to fight in the coming months. The card didn't look too good to begin with and this only worsened matters.

No comments: